Thursday, September 10, 2009

Oops.


I was in and out of my teamed class today while working with an assistant principal to help a student, so I didn't really observe eating habits. As such, I'll own that failure and take a loss for the day, even though I rocked over an hour of interval work on the bike.

Since I messed up, I'm down another day (total: W1 - L2).

As such...

I thought I'd write a little bit about sugar. The American Heart Association (AHA) released a much-ballyhooed article in the journal Circulation regarding added sugar consumption (view here). Many foods contain naturally occurring sugars and are perfectly healthy, but the AHA targeted sports drinks and soda specifically as being unhealthy. Based on a simple evaluation of their numbers, it's not that surprising.

The abstract lays out a pretty strict recommendation for men and women: 150 calories of added sugar to the males, 100 to the females. One 12-ounce can of Pepsi contains roughly 150 calories (41g) of added sugar, so by the recommendations of the AHA, a single can would be the the limit for men and exceed the limit for women. For the day. That doesn't include the added sugar we consume in many boxed cereals, processed snack bars, sauces, pastes, canned goods, sports drinks... pretty much anything that didn't come directly out of the ground or directly out of an animal seems to have some form of added sugar.

What's the point? Nothing big. Just one of the largest and most influential medical associations in America encouraging us to watch what we put into out bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment